Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Florida Labor & Employment Lawyer
Helping You Navigate Workplace Issues in FloridaGet in contact with an Intake Specialist Contact Us Now

If I sue under the FLSA for wages I think I should have received, what might I get?

Return to FAQ Videos


If you sue under the federal law known as the Fair Labor Standards Act or the FLSA, you’re entitled not only to the backwage payments that your employer should have paid you in the first place, but also double damages or what we call liquidated damages in addition to lawyers’ fees and costs. The statute, the philosophy is that you don’t want to reward an employer for not paying and therefore only be obligated to pay you what you’re owed. You get the double damages as sort of a prevention so the employer doesn’t engage in that wrongful conduct again in the future.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn